The Bagong Bayani Awards (BBA) is a worldwide search for the country’s outstanding and exemplary Overseas Filipino Workers (OFWs). The BBA seeks to recognize and pay tribute to OFWs for their significant efforts in fostering goodwill among peoples of the world, enhancing and promoting the image of the Filipino as a competent, responsible and dignified worker, and for greatly contributing to the socio-economic development of their communities and the country as a whole.
The BBA aims to provide proper recognition to deserving nominees, thus setting up examples for others to emulate, and for the country to be proud of.
The Bagong Bayani Awards aim to:
- Provide a nationally established system of recognizing the significant contributions of OFWs;
- Recognize the extraordinary and exemplary deeds, acts, life, services and contributions of OFWs towards their employers, fellow workers, their families, and communities;
- Honor the Filipino workers worldwide and their families for their distinct role in promoting the integrity of the Filipino workers, and in nation building.
CATEGORIES OF AWARDS
There are five (5) award categories, an innovation introduced in the 2005 Bagong Bayani Awards to allow the recognition of specific contributions of OFWs corresponding to the different areas of their involvements. Likewise, the Awards encourages as many nominees as possible coming from all parts of the world. The highest honor is the Blas F. Ople Award para sa Natatanging Bagong Bayani, which is awarded to the most outstanding and exemplary OFW who satisfies all the requirements of other awards criteria.
The five (5) categories are:
- Bagong Bayani Award for Outstanding Employee
- Bagong Bayani Award for Community and Social Service
- Bagong Bayani Award for Culture and the Arts
- Capt. Gregorio S. Oca Achievement Award
- Blas F. Ople Award para sa Natatanging Bagong Bayani
General Pre-Qualifying Criteria
- Any active Overseas Filipino Worker (OFW), whether land-based or sea-based, and possessing the following qualifications, may be nominated for pre-qualification:
- Has no past or present criminal or derogatory record;
- Must be of good moral standing, or has received recognition from past or present employer for exemplary behavior or outstanding service; and
- The employment contract must have been processed by the Philippine Overseas
- Employment Administration (POEA) and must not have left the country irregularly or as a tourist.
For the Capt. Gregorio S. Oca Achievement Award, any individual, whether or not an active OFW, or a reputable and duly registered entity may be nominated.
Specific Criteria per Category
The following specific criteria must be very satisfactorily met to qualify for any of the five (5) awards categories:
- Bagong Bayani Award for Outstanding Employee
a. Has earned the respect, trust, and confidence of his or her employer, superiors, and co-workers;
b. Has proven his or her competence by being promoted in status or in rank, or awarded citation or recognition for a distinguished and outstanding performance of his or her work duties and responsibilities, which in turn contributed to the growth or well-being of the company he or she works or have worked for; and
c. Has manifested the love for work, concern for the company and his or her co-workers.
2. Bagong Bayani Award for Community and Social Service
a. Has initiated or has been sincerely involved, whether in the country or abroad, in community or socially relevant services or activities aimed at either helping or extending assistance to fellow workers or their families, or promoting the Philippines as a business or tourism destination;
b. Has selflessly offered his or her time, skills and/or resources, in collective or personal capacity, to engage in such community services or activities that are beneficial to the people; or
c. Has performed heroic act or deed, or has saved life or property, the performance of which is beyond the normal call of duty.
3. Bagong Bayani Award for Culture and the Arts
a. Has worked or has been involved in the promotion, preservation, and development of Filipino culture and the arts overseas; or
b. Has excelled in his or her work as an artist abroad thereby earning recognition, adulation or honor for Filipino artistry and talent.
4. Capt. Gregorio S. Oca Achievement Award
A special award conferred upon any individual or entity who made significant contributions to the development of the Philippine Shipping/Seafaring Industry and who embodies and symbolizes the advocacy, achievement or contribution of the late Capt. Gregorio S. Oca to the Philippine Maritime and Seafaring Industry.
Specific Criteria (any two)
a. Must have demonstrated exemplary and significant contribution to the Philippine Seafaring Industry and Philippine Manning Industry for 25 years;
b. Must have dedicated service towards the advancement of the welfare and general well-being of seafarers;
c. Must have exhibited exemplary leadership or demonstrated exceptional valor/bravery while at sea; or
d. Must have made a significant, lasting evidence and sustained commitment to competitiveness and operational efficiency as well as to safety and environmental initiatives.
5. Blas F. Ople Award para sa “Natatanging Bagong Bayani”
This is highest and most prestigious Bagong Bayani Award. It is conferred to the most outstanding OFW who have been nominated, qualified and excelled in at least two (2) of the above four categories mentioned above.
Who may nominate?
Nominations may be made either by:
- The employer;
- The deploying recruitment or placement agency;
- Industry Associations;
- Co-worker/s; or
- Other reputable individuals or institutions.
Requirements for Nomination
The following requirements must be submitted with the duly accomplished official nomination form:
- An endorsement letter signed by the nominee’s employer;
- A photocopy of passport and pages of stamped visas (entry and exit);
- Profile of accomplishments; heroic acts
- Photocopy of awards or citations (if available); or publications containing the same
- 4 (2 x 2) colored photos;
- Copy of POEA approved employment contract;
All nominations with supporting documents must be submitted to the Bagong Bayani Foundation, Inc. 3/F BFO Bldg., POEA Ortigas Avenue cor. EDSA, Mandaluyong City, 1501 Philippines and provide a duly signed nomination form (only) to concerned Philippine Overseas Labor Office (POLO). Deadline for submission of all documents is on or before 28 February 2018.
BAGONG BAYANI FOUNDATION, INC.
3/F Blas F. Ople Bldg., POEA, Ortigas Ave.cor. EDSA
Mandaluyong City 1501 Philippines
TEL/FAX NO. (632) 705-1464